Coast to Coast – Day 8

Great Broughton to Blakey – 8.5 miles

Following a restful night and a hearty breakfast we needed to be taken to our meeting point of yesterday but, as there were so many walkers in the same situation, we had to wait before being transferred to the start of our walk, Clay Bank Top.

It was onwards and upwards for the penultimate climb up to Urra Moor. As we climbed the clouds were low, hiding some of the tops of the hills

in the distance but by the time we reached the summit the clouds had disappeared.

We came upon a walker sitting & eating,

it turns out he’d spent the night on top of the moor and was now having breakfast. Our path unrolled across the heather clad moor

with fantastic views again and the weather was improving all the time.

In the distance we could see other walkers and as we caught up with them whilst they were having a break we found out they were practising for the Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme. We continued until it was time for our first break of the day. It was probably not the best place to stop as when we settled down we were inundated with either midges or very small flies, so it was only a short stoppage.

As we set off again it wasn’t long before we caught up with two Australians we had met previously in Reeth and, as we walked, we chatted generally about one another’s walking experiences and countries. We were now going along the old Rosedale Ironstone Railway which is at the height of 1,200 feet and served the nearby iron mines nearly two centries ago. For me the path was a little uninteresting, but easy on the feet and still having awesome views. At a cross over of tracks we stopped to take pictures

and the Australians walked on.

We set off and could hear grouse in the distance, reminding us it was the grouse shooting season, but luckily there was no shooting on this moor. We were walking quietly when Lynn actually spotted a grouse up ahead on the path. We had cameras at the ready and just crept as near as we could before it flew off.

Our first close up of wild life, brilliant! We were now walking along Farndale Moor leading to High Blakey Moor where the path divided, our turning looking towards Helmsley & Kirkbymoorside.

Now it was a short climb to the Lion Inn where our next pick up point was. We arrived at the inn and saw the two Australian couples again. They were having lunch and in the field opposite was a young couple from Manchester we’d also previously met who were camping for the whole of the journey.

We spoke to the Mancunians as we hadn’t seen them since they left Marske, on the Reeth to Richmond part of the walk. Whilst we had lunch the weather turned cooler which was not surprising as we were on top of the moor with no shelter.

After lunch I phoned to arrange our pick up to take us to the August Guest House in Blakey. At the accommodation our host booked us into a pub in the nearby village, then it was time to relax and freshen up.

It was our host who later drove us to the pub and collected us after dinner.

Comments are closed.