Coast to Coast – Day 10

Egton Bridge to Robin Hood’s Bay – 17.5 miles

After a restful night and a fabulous breakfast we were soon in the waiting taxi and heading to Grosmont. The weather this morning was overcast yet the forecast was for a dry day with occasional showers. At Grosmont we purchased our packed lunches from the Co-op and Lynn went off taking pictures of the steam train in the station. Whilst taking our final look around we saw two Australians and later saw Kitti who had not long had breakfast. Soon we were on our way but there was one last sting in the tail, a long climb (700 ft) out of the village.

As we were leaving there was a lot of activity with vehicles heading in towards Grosmont. We had seen on posters that the Egton Agricultural Show was on today, hence all the traffic heading towards us as we were climbing the hill. As had been our luck the views we have had when climbing have been fabulous, with no exception today.

At the top of the two mile climb the wind became stronger; we were now on Sleights Moor. The sun began to shine and Whitby Abbey came into view. Crossing the moor we arrived at the A169 road

to Whitby and just after a short walk along the road we followed the path to Littlebeck. As we walked through the village

we found a bench where we had a coffee stop and a check on our location.

Break over, we entered Little Beck Wood. Following the path was quite picturesque but, as with most woods when there is no sun beaming through the trees, the ground can become very muddy-and it was! According to guide books the

woods are filled with deer, badgers, foxes and birdlife; we heard the birds but saw no wildlife. As we trudged through the woods trying to avoid the mud, and the slipping & sliding when near streams, we came across a cave.

We peered in but there was nothing to see, so we continued our walk. About an hour later further into the wood and walking up the long steep incline, we came across a hermit’s cave.

Just across the path at what looked like a walled balcony area looking down into the woods two people were resting after their ascent. Examining the cave, which was just a boulder hollowed out and a date of 1790 above the doorway, we asked the couple what was its purpose but they didn’t know. After a brief respite we continued

and now we could hear people at the waterfall below, a local beauty spot with tea gardens etc. We stayed on the higher ground to avoid the crowds till eventually we arrived at the car park at the other end of the wood. By now it was time for food; the good thing was that the sun was shining. We found a quiet spot, boots off and had lunch whilst watching the hordes arriving.

After refreshments it was a steady uphill climb with very impressive views. We were looking for the sign post to Sneaton Low Moor which could easily be missed as it’s right on a bend of the road. On the moor there was more than one path but fortunately in the distance we could see a way post and ahead were two other walkers, so this helped. Once finally across the moor we arrived at the B1416 road, staying on this for a short while before heading over Graystone Hills (moor) which turned out to be a little boggy,

but manageable. Crossing the A171 road we saw our first signpost to Low Hawsker, an indication we were getting closer to the end. As we entered the continuation of the moor two people were flying kites with their children and the one child asked his mother if we were explorers to which we replied, “Yes.” Walking across the rest of the moor we had a clear view of the North Sea and

at times Whitby Abbey again, but now the abbey was encircled with direct sunlight

whilst the surrounding area in shade. We continued along the moor till we reached Rigg Farm, and were on a tarmac road to Low Hawsker when we saw the first sign to Robin Hood’s Bay.

Staying on the road for a while we were heading for High Hawsker and passed several caravan parks, some with awesome views of the North Sea. According to our guide book there was a tea room at Northcliffe Holiday Park, so as we had been walking for some time we thought it would be a suitable stopping place. Unfortunately, we eventually arrived at the holiday park only to find the tea room was closed. Further along the road was a sign for the C2C path pointing down to the coastline. We followed the path through the holiday park where we found a small seating area overlooking the sea, so we finished off our flasks of coffee/drinking chocolate.

After the break we headed down

to the coastal path which now had signs for the C2C and Cleveland Way.

The route was easy to follow, we just needed to remember to keep the sea on our left. As we walked, Lynn & Steve started their singing ’Funiculi, Funincula’ with the occasional conversation in broken Italian which was quite hilarious. During some quiet moments we took more photos

Continuing along the path,we passed the coastguard station and the Rocket Post Field where coastguards used to practise aiming their rescue rockets ready for when they needed to reach ships stranded off this treacherous stretch of coast and bring people back on dry land.

We arrived at a point where we could see Robin Hood’s Bay in the distance

and followed the path until eventually we came to the village.

We arrived at around 5pm in blazing sunshine – what a fitting end to a super adventure! Now we need to find our accommodation (The Villa) which was

easy to locate as it was on the main road down to the sea. We checked in as requested by our host then headed down the steep hill to the water’s edge

for the customary dipping of our boots and throwing of stones, brought all the way from the St Bees to Robin Hood’s Bay (192 miles), into the sea. Down on the beach Steve accosted a passerby to take our photo,

which was then followed by the obligatary man hug.

Whilst these rituals were going on fellow walkers in the Wainwright’s Bar were cheering us on so we ventured up to meet them. Before that we still had time for another photo outside the pub by the finish sign but in doing so we had to disturb the people already there drinking.

Clutching our celebratory drinks we went out onto the hotel balcony where we met up with some fellow walkers.

A couple from Australia.

The Manchester couple who backpacked.

After a most pleasant drink and chat we set off back to our B&B to freshen up, but not before finding somewhere to eat that night and booking into the Smugglers Restaurant.

At ‘The Villa’ we were met again by our host who was wanting to sort out breakfast arrangements, which we did fairly quickly. Then a freshen up ready to paint the town red. (So to speak)

We headed off to the Smugglers Restaurant and were on our way down that steep hill for the second time today when we saw Tracey

& Kitti.

They were sitting outside the cafe’ half way down the hill and had just arrived. Whilst chatting we were asked to sing ‘Alouette’ as they thought it was so funny the first time they heard it. Steve & I were mumbling the French verses that Lynn sang properly; it must have looked and sounded like we had a mouth full of wasps. Needless to say we received some strange looks from passers-by. Asking if they were booked into their B&B, Kitti said she thought it would be wise to clean her feet first.


We left them to go down to the sea to take part in the customary stone throwing whilst we had a drink before having our last meal of the walk.

The restaurant was very busy and we couldn’t resist the traditional local seafood chowder to finish the evening before heading back to our accommodation.

Comments are closed.