Fort Augustus to Invermoriston – 8 miles
We ate a hearty breakfast and then packed our dry waterproofs away as the weather had improved considerably.
We bade farewell to our host and set off to buy packed lunches from the local store.
On our way we took a slight detour as the “Pride of the Glen”, a huge boat, was working its way through the lock.
Whilst the vessel was in the lock no other boat could use it at the same time as it took up all the space. We watched a while then set off to buy lunch.
Today was going to be our first steep hill walking in the forest. As we found the trail it was a climb straight away up to the point where it divides into the upper trail and lower trail. We took the higher trail as the weather was clear so we would have good views over Loch Ness. Into the forest we went,
taking it steady as it hadn’t been long since breakfast, until we got to a point where we had our first sight of Loch Ness from above. Looking down to the shore line we could see the loch’s only island – actually an Iron Age man made structure known as a crannog – renamed Cherry Island by Oliver Cromwell.
As we climbed we eventually got above the tree line, now heading to an even higher part of the walk. Near the top, looking back
along the Lochs, in the distance you could see Loch Oich and, just about, Loch Lochy.
We set off following the path overlooking Loch Ness;
what an impressive view of this extremely long loch with its scenic beauty.
We arrived at a curved wall that can only be described as a shelter to give protection from the elements and decided to stop for a break. As we had just walked up the steepest section of the path, we were amazed to see cyclists, some riding their bikes up, some pushing.
Now replenished we set off along the path until we reached the summit, then it was a long and sometimes steep descent into the enclosed forest
to Invermoriston to join the lower path. We eventually arrived at the outskirts of Invermoriston where we rejoined the A82 alongside an old drovers’ road bridge built by Thomas Telford in 1813. The bridge was restored many times, but due to flood damage in 1951, it was replaced by a modern bridge in 1954 and here you can still see the older bridge
with its cascading waters.
We had a look around and took the obligatory photos before arriving in the village. Once again we had arrived too early but found that our B&B was right next to the Glenmoriston Arms Hotel. (How lucky were we?)
Off we went to find the sign posted café. On the way we found the start of the following day’s walk and a little further on was the Glen Rowan café, not too far from the B&B.
As we entered, there, having a snack was the Icelandic girl so we chattered about her progress before sitting down for a refreshing cup of tea and a scone.
It was now time to book in at Barcarina House and as we arrived there were others waiting to go inside. We met our host, Robert, who asked us to leave our boots and any wet gear in the drying room where we also would find a pair of crocs each to wear around the house. We noticed our cases were in the garage, so once we had changed into the comfy crocs we took our cases into the house where we were
shown to our rooms. It wasn’t long before we had showered and changed, then sent the daily text home before heading to the Glenmoriston Arms for a meal.
Whilst having a drink we asked for a table as we wanted to dine. It wasn’t long before we were enjoying a delicious meal and one last drink before heading back to our B&B for the night.